Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Strawberries

You have read several times about our going to Parksdale at Plant City for strawberry sundaes. Linda and Austin kept telling us to "just wait, the u-pick farm will open up and then you can have all the berries you want for a small price." They usually open up about the 3rd week in March. They opened yesterday. Linda and Austin left today, by car, for Indiana.
but we do not leave until Thursday and we are going to Ft. Myer. so Tuesday I picked 6 quarts.
"Now Ma'am, you take this quart basket and fill it rounded and put those in your bucket. Then do it again, keeping track of how many quarts you put in your bucket. Round up your bucket also. So I picked 6 quarts. I had a 5 quart bucket.
Since we were going to see my brother and his wife, I called them and ask them if they wanted some strawberries. Well, yes, we could take two quart. How much are they? 50 cents a quarts. oh Oh bring us 6 and I will give them to some friends for Easter. So today I picked 10 quarts. It was easy. Like a child in a candy store. Oh, I want this one, look there is one even redder, oh, here is a great big, red berry. And I got 2 Florida onions. These are huge onions, like vidalias, but the man said. "No, these are Florida Sweet Onions" So there. And they are sweet. And they grow on the edge of the strawberry fields.

I ask the gentleman, why. To keep out the buffalo. No, joke! He showed me a picture of the neighbor's buffalo in his strawberry field. Planted onions and they will not cross into the Field.
Go figure. I suppose it might also keep out other varmits as well. Makes a good story, don't ask me how true it is. But I did see the picture of the buffalo in the strawberries.

The man said that this morning they had about 50 young school children. Fun, he said, to watch them. I ask if they ate many. No, he thought that they had been instructed not to eat the berries. I suppose they would take them back to school to be washed and fixed some way or another. There were 3 men manning the station. Southern drawl, interesting to talk to both time I went to pick berries.

We were going to go to Busch Gardens today. One last time. to see the new section open up. Sesame Street theme. You could not get near the entrance. Spring break. and the park was full. We went on up the road. Stopped at Wally world , McDonald's for 49 cent burgers and then home. and now it is time to fix supper. Strawberries anyone? jkc
tomorrow we will be at Siesta Bay RV resort in Fr. Myer.

No comments:

Post a Comment