Saturday, March 27, 2010

My Day-----March 27th

Nothing like blowing your own horn. It was an extra special day. Nothing fancy, just easy and a good day. Late getting up. After breakfast, it was off to the Big Top flea market. Bought a jar of pickled asparagus and one pretty silver plated fork. And then went to the antique wing of the market. This gentleman, I think I have written about him before, is an interesting man to talk with about many things. He lived in Indiana in his youth. He is now about 85. Has had a business at the Big Top for many years. I find things I like now and then. He knows all about them and asks a fair price. Altho we always try to get it for less. He says he never goes below 20% of the price on the item. I found an old glass pitcher. Holds about a pint or pint and a half. Had a symbol on the bottom of H with an A under the H. Hazel-Atlas. He told me that the Company made canning jars and other glass items. ( I have some jars that have the name ATLAS on them.) I researched it on the internet. They also made those milk glass disks that are in the lids of the old canning lids. And many other items. Some depression glass and advertising items. He told me much of this also. He is not sure if he will be back next year. He would like to sell out. But of course no one wants all of his inventory.





we came home and had lunch. We had gotten two lobster tails the other day. Publix grocery had a special on them. Had fresh steamed broccoli and then a salad plate of fresh veggies. Just enough. Lazy afternoon. did do some rearranging of the bins. Trying to fit in some of the red chairs we have fixed. Plus a few other things we have accumulated since December.


Came in and played some games on the computer.





Then I got out the advertisement I had cut out of the paper this week for


'Chancy's Catfish Shack" Over by Plant City. That is where I want to eat, I told Ernie.


so we went. Oh, it was good! Fresh!!! Ernie had 10 shrimp, 10 scallops, 1 piece of fish, garden salad and egg plant. I had frog legs and catfish. Slaw and applesauce.


We arrived about 6, had to wait for about 20 minutes and of course talked to another couple while waiting. We said to them, Well, come on in and sit with us. When he introduced us, he said they were celebrating his wife's birthday. How about that. I said''Good, it is mine also" but neither one of us told and they were too busy to mess with a song, etc.


This place was one of those little shacks with excellent food and a waiting line to eat. Our new friend stepped out the back door for a minute and when he came back in he said the original owner was sitting out there. An older gentleman, lived just up the road. The couple we ate with had driven over from Lakeland Fl. He told us of several FRESH Fish places to eat. I needed a pen and paper to write down a few.


My brothers have helped out there. John used to take us to a fish shack near Jacksonville for great fish. And Jim and Sara have taken us to the fish shop that has fish right off the boat. so good when it is fresh. Just like any food.





Strawberries. On the news today, some farmers are having a one day you pick day. One farmer is having you donate a dollar to a charity for the needy. Parksdale farms were having their workers cut off the berry plants to make way for pickles. The freeze caused a shortage of berries and then the berries all ripened at once. Delicious and sweet. But not a money making venture any more. A glut of berries on the market. sorry if I repeat===just like the news on TV.


Rita called, she has a birthday today too. Good friend.


We are now back at the RV. Ernie is reading and I am here at the computer. Found a new way to play a game, so am enjoying trying that out. I feel fortunate to be able to be here and to enjoy life as we are now. Hope all of you have a good day. jkc



P.S. I was looking at some past blogs. Noted that on one of them I made the comment that I had not seen an older person on any of the roller coasters. Last week when we saw "The Fifth Dimension" this lady came thru our row, said she was sorry, but she just had to take a ride on the Shieka. and she had grey hair like mine. And Shieka is the largest coaster at Busch with a 200 foot drop in one place. The lady next to us said "More power to her, but not me" I agreed. jkc













1 comment:

  1. Rita and Clayton LoganMon Apr 05, 05:39:00 AM EDT

    Jane and Ernie Read your blog. Really enjoyed the pictures and your coments. Even liked the pictures of US. We are home how. Got to get busy. Going to have a rummage sale and prepare for a baby shower. Clayton will be working on a chest for Kaitlyn's baby clothes. He is going to have to strip it down before he can finish it. Hope I can send this to you. Love ya Rita

    ReplyDelete