Thursday, July 25, 2013

Forsthia

   Our forsythia bush is at least 45 years old.  Like every thing else around here.  Including us.   Add another 31 years on the us.

anyway,-----The bush resides behind the house almost in front of the bedroom window.   Fine, I can see when it gets the pretty yellow flowers (if I am home) and watch the green leaves appear.  And the last several years I have kept it trimmed in to a nice large bush.

Over they years I have cut it waaaay back once or twice, to about 3 feet.  It doesn't die from this cruel treatment.  It just keeps growing.  Like that bunny on TV.

This year it is so big that when it sprouts nice new leaves and stems, it is difficult to see out the bedroom window.  Enough already!

I am determined to cut the bush way down.  Out I go, collect the tools needed
The trimmer wound not run.   Go to my favorite fix it man, and Ernie determined that the extension cord was bad  He found me another one that worked.  So I trim off the new leaves and get out the heavy duty cutters and start at the back to cut it down. 

We have a burn barrel, Still can, where we live, and we took a barrow full out to be burned.  Ernie had a bunch of branches burning that he had cut off one of the maple trees, that were in the way when driving the RV down the drive
We walked back and  looked at the bush.  Oh, a birds nest, OH Oh----
it had 3 pretty blue eggs in it. 

Guess what?  I cleaned up the leaves and twigs on the ground, put my tools in the wheel barrow, Ernie took the trimmer and extension cord and we headed back to the barn. 

Later, I was looking in at the nest, put my hand up to it.  (mother bird was watching from a distance)  She did not like my hand near her eggs and let out a screech.  Leave my eggs alone   so I did, and will not look that close again.
I will wait until after the baby birds have flown the nest and then take another
chance at cutting the forsythia down to 3 feet.

Have a good day.   jkc

No comments:

Post a Comment