Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Day at Allison & the 500 Track

Hey! Hey! Hey!!!! Look at these trucks! there were 15 of them. And we got to drive them on the Allison Transmission Test Track. Yep, We did!! I Did!!! 4 of them!. What an experience! We were told to go out and get in one of the trucks, we would have a person from Allison with us to tell us how to drive them around their test track. The track had several stops, turns and curves. so I got in a big one.
This is a Western Star 4900SA, Cat C15, 475 hp. Weighted at 61,900 lbs. With a 53 foot trailer. You see these going down the road with a load of big gravel or rocks. Very nice, except "jake" brake was on and I still have trouble using it, until I have driven several miles. Here I am ready to climb aboard the first one I drove.

And there I am, ready to take off. My helper, Ty, was very nice, told me I did a great job.? And told Ernie that I had done a good job also. Then I drove a semi. Freightliner Columbia MBE 4000. -12.8L 450hp @ 1900rpm/1550lb-ft @1100 rpm. Weight Empty (w/trailer) 29,260 lbs. Weight Loaded (w/trailer) 56,200 lbs. Each rig was loaded. with something so we could tell how it felt to drive a loaded rig. Then I got into a "box truck" Piece of cake after the other two. On the other side of the stand were off road dumpster trucks. Big ones. the track for these had a hill. A straight up hill. As I was driving up the hill my helper said just keep the flags on either side of the road in view. And that is all I could see, beside the sky. Stopped at the top and then came down and not seeing the road for a few feet coming down.



This is one half of our group from the red bus. A total of 80 of us made this filed trip. One bus to Allison's in the morning. We also had a tour through the factory. Just a portion, but our guide was a floor supervisor and made the tour very interesting. Allison's had a box lunch for us, a good one. And then we all got a protable, round cooler with the Allison name on it. Our bus took us to the 500 mile track at Speedway. We had tickets for the museum and a ride around the track. A good day, I do believe.


The Indianapolis Speedway Museum.




One of the cars in the museum. We left at 7:30 and back to the campground by 3. I just got up from a nap. This evening I get to help with supper. There is a cater and we are to have prime rib, baked potato, salad and dessert. The helpers serve and see that there are drinks available. etc. Not sure what the entertainment will be tonight. Last night I did not stay for the entertainment. Came home, showered and was in bed by 9:15. This good life out here can be tiring sometimes. We leave tomorrow (Wed) morning. See you down the road or along the way. jkc


















No comments:

Post a Comment